Monday, January 14, 2008

Why Won't Anyone Just Talk To Each Other

It seems to be a reoccurring theme these days. More and more people appear to think they know everything there is to know about everything.

I for one DO NOT believe I know much of anything about anything, which is why I ask questions. Questions...novel idea isn't it? The most frustrating part of this crazy mess is how people can spend a lifetime "deciding" things a happen a certain way without any shred of evidence to back up their theory. Let's take this one step further into crazy town. Not only do people make a decision about something without knowing the facts, they also CHOSE the worst possible scenario!! That is flat out crazy thinking from the mayor of crazy town!

Why would you chose to assume that the reason something happened the way it did in a way that leaves you feeling slighted in some way? Is the goal to feel terrible about oneself and in turn defame the character of the person or persons involved? It appears self destructive behavior is the new norm for what drives a person's motives. I am dumbfounded.

I guess I am not of the same school 0f thought. I myself (and this doesn't make me special, it is just who I am) prefer to give someone the benefit of the doubt and make an attempt to understand the circumstances before making a decision about something. It is true that times the only conclusion is to understand I can do no more. Resolve my end of the issue and try not to carry the baggage of others. Until they are ready to be serious about self assessment then it is not a fair comparison.

All this sounds cryptic I am sure, but rest assure it is really quite simple. When faced with a difficult and potentially volatile situation, stop, assess and understand. If you still don't understand be sure you have asked enough pertinent questions and keep it from being a personal issue. Once you have exhausted the process of being accountable to the all parties involved and still no resolve is possible, you cut the cord and understand the issue is owned by the other party or parties. Ownership. Discovering what issues you own and which ones the other parties own is crucial to finding peace in unresolved issues.

Remember you cannot help someone who doesn't want help or thinks they don't need help. Until they can take ownership of their own issues it is impossible to work through an issue. The idea of forced understanding is folly.

My Two Cents

Jamie

No comments: