Friday, January 18, 2008

Global Warming My Ass

Did Winnipeg miss the memo? Hello Mr. Arctic Cold Front did you sleep in the day the "save the planet" crew announced the World is melting?

The high for tomorrow is -25 degrees Celsius! Which means the overnight low will be minus 35 and should there be a sniff of a breeze the temp will plummet to minus 50! I am not talking wind here, just a "gentle" breeze is all it takes to create dangerous conditions. Not so gentle in January. If we are not careful penguins may start to migrate!

Hey don't think I am complaining because I'm not. I am not one of those Manitoba's who insists on letting Old Man Winter decide how I live my life. Not me, nope. I put on my big boots, pack a touque (sorry that's warm head gear for those who don't know), warm mitts, extra clothes, flares, candles, heavy wool blankets, bottled water, canned foods and off I go!

But seriously I think Winnipeggers find it hard to believe the Global Warming theory when year after year we are submersed in what can only be described as bone chilling temperatures. We are infamous for it. Many people south of the border think it is brittle baron landscape filled with igloos and pet polar bears. It seems the dividing line between the USA and Canada is some sort of magical weather line. On a return trip from Fargo a few months back we experienced this magic first hand. The weather was nice in Fargo, Grand Forks and the highways leading to our great nation. We stopped in Grand Forks for breakfast; the sun was out, the temperature was comfortable, very little snow on the ground. Then we crossed the border and no more than a mile out of the USA (I kid you not) the temperature dropped, there was snow everywhere and highways were getting worse the further North we went. It is no joke what they about the people who decided where the line between Canada and USA was drawn. The group responsible was walking along in a Northern path, wondering among themselves "So, where do think we should draw the line?". They had no idea how much further the land would go. Then suddenly, the temperature changed from +5 to -20 and they looked at each other and said "This should be far enough boys!".

I think Global Warming is a legitimate issue, but DAMN it gets cold here in Winterpeg Manitoba this time of year.

Go green everyone. You do your part and the World will be a better place.

My Two Cents

Jamie

3 comments:

Darrell said...

most of the earth is warmer then ever. They just forgot to tell mother nature Winnipeg was one of those! Hey Bro yup it is happening,

ones getting that warm tropical wind off the el nino or what ever they call it.

Then again the planet is ill and we the cancer are slowly killing it. So I guess we deserve what we get as a people, just can they send it a little east! those in Ottawa are good at being able to move at a snails pace, for once are MP's can have a real excuse.

Jamie said...

Just to be clear...

I am aware that Global warming is very real, I was trying to offer a little humour about a harsh cold snap during a Winnipeg winter.

Please keep in mind I am "trying" to offer some of the lighter sides of life in some of my blogs.

Take care
Jamie

Darrell said...

As was I bro, thus the Ottawa joke, Hey I mean where else can you get 4 months of artic weather?

Enjoy the snow
D