Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Renewed Faith In Friendship

As of late the concept of friendship has haunted me. With the explosion of Facebook and it's categoric label of "friends" it leaves one to wonder. Is a friend defined as anyone with an email address? Doesn't the very nature of friendship require a certain level of loyalty, integrity, and a willingness to go above and beyond? To be considered a friend, shouldn't the person be someone you contact when things are rough or joyous, or heck perhaps to just say Hi? Watering down the definition of friend is not a healthy way to feel important. I have numerous friends, many of the 20+ year range. I think that speaks to the type of friend and in turn the type of person I am.

Today I received a conformation that I am a good person and that I give of myself for those who are my friends. Quite frankly I give of myself to anyone in need really and some who don't need. I called a friend the other day to inquire about needing some help with something. Him and I had spoke on this issue numerous times in the past and he had always said he would be there for me. So I called last week, trying ensure I gave him enough time to work out the details. I respect the fact that he is extremely busy. It turns out that 9 months was not enough lead time for him. He was very apologetic and he knew I would understand, which I did. I was disappointed and discouraged, but once again knew he was not blowing me off, he is busy. Today I spoke with him again and he informed that if I give him a confirmed time frame he will work me in. He is willing to "cancel another commitment to help out a friend". I was astonished and blown away. I will admit his act of generosity was unexpected and caught me off guard. I was a little emotional. He told me that he spent some time thinking about it and asked a few people close to him about the situation (refer to a previous Blog regarding the concept of asking questions) and he felt he had no other choice but to accommodate me in whatever way he could. Why? Because in his words "You've helped me out in the past and we had good times in and out of school. All that, so don't worry, I'll make it work" and "I talked to some people about it, and they gave me good advice. Gata keep important people first! Also, don't feel like you pressured me or anything. That is totally not it! This is completely a personal thing that I think is important."

So I will take away from my conversation that I am on the right track and keep working hard at being a good, honest person who looks out for whomever needs it. I believe helping people and giving of ones self is greatest feeling in the World.

Future blog to follow this topic will be in reference to reminding ourselves why

My Two Cents

Jamie

No comments: