Monday, January 14, 2008

Living Out Of A Suitcase

Just trying to keep sane these days. So much going on.

My parents are away and I am dog sitting. All the routines are thrown out of whack. Living out of a suitcase and never quite feeling at home.

It's funny how bound we are to our routines. The most simple of changes can throw us out of orbit. We go through our days without realizing how little control we have. I know you are thinking, whoa big fellar, I have control over me! Really, you do? Funny, how some of us are a complete mess if things are not exactly as they expect them to be.

Even the dog is a mess. She is so lost without her normal daily routine. My Dad is retired, so the dog gets plenty of rides and has company. In recent months my Dad has not been very healthy, so the dog is getting even more attention from an owner who is home all the time. Now my parents have up and gone to Mexico and dog is confused. We are off to work each day and she is home on her own. When we are home she out of sorts.

I don't think it is healthy to be so tied to a routine (this coming from a goalie, HA). Seriously, though if you are governed by a routine then you are adding stress to your life. Because if any little thing attempts to tweak that routine in any way, we tend to become frantic and potentially stressed about how it will all work. I myself have been working very hard over the last number of years to avoid being to tied to a routine. I have found it much easier to manage any given day. Being able to adjust to whatever the day brings has allowed me to take my focus off the unimportant and turn my focus to the important. The way something gets done is NEVER more important then the fact that is getting done.

For most people who know me they will probably laugh at the above statements. But, sadly, that is only because most people I have known for many years and they remember the old me. So too that I urge anyone who cares to keeps their relationships fresh to always give someone the credit they deserve for making themselves a better person.

Strive to be a better person. It requires hard work and shedding of old routines.

My Two Cents

Jamie

No comments: