Monday, March 03, 2008

Working For a Living Doesn't Feel Right

So I picked some extra work over the weekend. As much as I like helping a friend out (I was being paid mind you), I really hate working weekends. I worked all day Saturday, came home and went to a social. Worked all day Sunday, stopped for groceries on the way home and then went and played hockey Sunday night! Doesn't make for much relaxation, so I am tired and not really motivated to work today. Go figure! :)

Ya see, a good friend owns a company that provides I.T. Services. He has a client that was changing offices over the weekend. As with most major computer network moves, the network is expected to be up until end of day Friday and fully functional Monday morning like nothing happened.
Sometimes easier said than done. Oh and better yet if you can swing it keep the network available the entire weekend, even while it is unplugged and in transport. There must be a way! But we loaded up the vans and moved about 50 PCs and all the computer related office stuff and headed to the new location. We unloaded and began the task of setting up an office. Running cables, setting up PCs, testing and tying down cables to make all look neat. That was just the office space, that did not include the behind the scenes work in the network closet. The area where all the magic functionality the office takes for granted is created. Isn't it amazing...you plug a PC into the wall beside your desk and poof...you have access to the Internet and all the pertinent file information you need is at your finger tips! The plight of the unnoticed I.T. staff. Boo hoo right!

Working for the 'man' sucks!

And it REALLY sucks when the paper your pay cheque is printed on is worth more than the money it represents! LOL. Funny story...I was talking to a woman that used to work for me back at Sobeys. She was a great employee and had a lot of potential. I remember how she wanted to advance in the company and so I worked on grooming her for bigger and better things. She wasn't always aware that she was being taught something, but I think that is a big part of teaching. She didn't believe me that she would be the leader one day, I knew she had the skill and talent to be exactly what she wanted to be, but she had a hard time visualizing it herself. But today she is the leader I thought she would be! She runs her own department and is very proud of her accomplishments. Back to the story; we were talking one day on MSN. Gabbing about this and that, the grocery biz and its ups and downs. Like any industry, it has its ebbs and flows. She had asked me about my career and how I liked my career change. I let her know I was not truly happy with the career choice I made. Talked a little about how the I.T. industry is not as satisfying a job. Basically it wasn't what I anticipated it would be. She commented that at least I was making more money than I was in the retail grocery game! I had to LAUGH, I find it funny how people ASSUME that working in the computer industry equals great fortune. The reality, at least my reality, is I make about $14000 LESS per year than when I left the retail grocery business. That is a lot of scratch! In fact I made more money when I was 20 years old than I do right now! That is sad, instead of moving up with inflation, I am regressing. However, I believe starting over has its price. I am new to the industry, so I am unknown and unproven. Back in the grocery World, I was known and proven. Numbers don't lie. My accomplishments within the Grocery industry were very clear and I might add, impressive. Companies came looking for me and not me looking for them. I know what it takes to make money, how to create profit, how to drive sales, how motivate others to excel and most importantly, how to create a team that knows how to build something special. I build people into powerful individuals that WANT to exceed expectations and WANT to be the best they can be (which is a different level for each individual person).

I will apply those acquired skills to a project of my own one day. That is the path I am working towards. The grocery industry is not for me because it has changed. So going back is not really the best option. Although I know I would enjoy it more.

I need a financial backer! Any business! You choose! I WILL make it a success, I WILL generate a profit, I WILL create an atmosphere of success that everyone involved will be proud to be a part of.

Well that felt good! I should get back to work and get something meaningless done today!

My Two Cents

Jamie

No comments: