Friday, March 07, 2008

eBay Has People Abandoning All Reason

I just don't get it! What is wrong with people today? Don't they understand how money works? now I do understand the supply and demand concept, but it is still nuts! I have been watching the Nintendo Wii systems being sold on eBay and buyers are either uninformed or just plain stupid. I know it sounds harsh, but I this chaps my ass!

A Wii console retails for about $249-$269 (I've done the research), yet on eBay these morons are driving up the bidding to well over $100 beyond the retail, that is before the ALWAYS bloated shipping costs. Oh, you live next door, wow, small World. So the shipping on that item will be $73.49. It's maddening! I would say the average (my guess) auction price on eBay for the Wii console is $380 + shipping costs. So the total cost, shipping included, is about $425-$475!!! Can anyone else see how insane that is!?!?

The sellers on eBay are buying consoles at a retail outlet in the morning and selling them by end of day for $150+ profit! I will give them credit for being on the ball. I don't blame the sellers for capitalizing on an opportunity to be make money. All they do is post the items and the bone heads bidding drive the price up beyond what it would cost them to get off the asses and go to the store and buy it themselves. Granted some are probably not in cities or towns with a retail outlet that would carry a Wii, but is there value in paying nearly double for the Nintendo Wii? Sure it's fun, but I am must be missing something.

Perhaps it is the Winnipegger in me...I don't like paying retail let alone MORE than retail. :)

I think eBay and what it offers is awesome but I just don't understand the mentality of the bidding public to drive the price well above retail. I will go back to watching the eBay auctions and continue to wonder in amazement why someone would pay so much for something worth half the price and ask myself, "Self," Because I call myself "self", "Self, what is wrong with people?"

My Two Cents
Jamie

No comments: