Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mini He Strikes Again!

For years I have been told my oldest Mini He looks “EXACTLY” like me. I haven’t ignored this claim or thought it to be false, but I never gave it much thought. Today that changed…

There we were waiting in line together at Tim Horton’s for an early morning father son breakfast. We were discussing what he would like and keeping pace with the steadily moving line. The nice young lady with some very shiny lips calls for us, as we are next. I place our order, trying to not be overly distracted by her shiny lips, Ooooo Aaaaahhhhh shiny. Considering I did manage to order the wrong beverage for Mini He, to which he; in his best Homer Simpson whisper, says through cupped hands, “that was supposed to be chocolate milk”. I correct my error and move on. At this point I notice the young lady (did I mention she has shiny lips?) is downright giddy. Was my ordering blundering really that entertaining? I hand her my money and as she is giving me my change she proclaims, “He looks exactly like you!”

She notices she has caught me off guard and I look like I am not sure I understand, I guess I stood there like a deer in the headlights; so she points at him and emphasizes her point. Okay I get, and honestly, now I am a little embarrassed! I thanked her for the comment, not sure why, did she mean I look like a 12 year old boy or he looked like an – ahem - “older” man!! For me it was an interesting start to the morning. Mini He is looking so much like me that strangers feel the need to point this out in manner that would suggest they feel we never knew. I am fine with the look a-like status, I can walk around with a puffed out chest saying, “Yup, that’s my boy!” For him on the other hand, not so sure, being 12 isn’t exactly easy and now strange people tell him he looks like his old man! YIKES! He must be thinking get me out of this twilight zone. We wandered over to sweating glass counters upon which we would receive Mini He’s breakfast choice. As we hurry up and wait, he seems to be all right with the lady’s comment, which puts my mind at ease. At least he didn’t run screaming from the restaurant, right? We proceeded to enjoy our little breakfast time and sewed up another little memory for safe keeping.

It is about the little memories. They are the ones that provide us simple joys in the years to come.

My Two Cents

Jamie

No comments: