Thursday, December 06, 2007

Facebook Is Laced With Cocaine

December 6, 2007

I am back to Blog once again. In the past I blogged about Facebook being no big deal. I couldn't understand the hype. Basically I was not clear on what the big
Facebook deal is. Well I am still not sure, but it appears I am hooked on Facebook. Why? I can't clearly answer that question.

I am going to with a popular reason, one only and 'true' Urban Myth can be made of, DRUGS!!! Facebook is laced with addicting drugs that seeps through your mouse and into your hand. It then enters the blood stream where it is carried to the brain! Then BLAMO you cannot stop yourself from going back every spare moment you have! Before you know it you are resenting your companies IT Department for blocking YOUR ACCESS to Facebook while at work! "How am I supposed to keep up with my social networking if I am blocked at work! I am far to busy to communicate with people in the evenings!"

Sadly Facebook is a powerful social networking tool that has had an incredible run. I think what amazes me the most is how people refer to the hundreds of people they are connected with as "friends". C'mon people! I'll admit I have people on my list that have no business being on my list. Why? Because I got asked and if you say no you are 'hurting someone". Give me a break! If you would not personally call someone about an important event in your life then they should NOT be in your Facebook list. I personally have deleted people.....WHAT.....SAY IT AIN'T SO! How could you?? Yes this is some of the reaction I have faced when I mention my deletion of people. I plan to delete more. I just can't have people on there that I would never consider seeing face to face on a semi regular basis. I know there are people on my list who could care less about my kids latest accomplishments or pictures of them. So shouldn't I delete them? I am not going to kid myself into believing that everyone I have ever met in my life cares about me to the point of wanting to be a part of everything in my life.

Having said that. I do get the actual benefits of Facebook. I have reconnected with a very long time friend who meant the World to me before she moved away. We lost touch. Now we can talk more often. Catch up with pictures of her kids and mine. I still know her parents really well and see them from time to time, so that has been nice. I also have a HUGE family on my mother's side. We have been able to communicate as a group on important topics. Most recently to share prayer for my Aunt who went through Breast Cancer surgery. Also to ensure everyone knows when the next gather of family is scheduled and where. So yes I can see the benefits and certainly utilize them.

I simply think everyone simply evaluate the list of people they call 'friends'. Do you truly believe these people go on Facebook and click on your page to see what is new with you? I know I only click on a few people's pages to keep up with their lives. Aside from the bonus of better family communication I think Facebook can be crutch for people and may set up some people for a harsh dose of reality when someone they thought was their 'friend' turns out to be just someone they know.

My two cents,
God Bless,
Jamie

No comments: