Monday, July 14, 2008

Do You Deserve Your Money Back?

I got this interesting and by interesting I mean annoying email today. It is another one of those emails that proves to me that email has become the bane of our generation. An email calling to arms all electronics consumers to be band together and stick it to the big bad box store! Give me a break!

What makes people think by simply sending and email that they will influence how people will shop? Get serious! The email came in from a customer of a large electronics chain who purchased a product, tried to return and discovered there was a restocking fee. On the surface it appears the big bad box store is taking advantage of the little guy consumer. Shame on them.

But wait let's look deeper. The "customer" purchased a GPS unit, removed the plastic casing, opened the box, ACTUALLY powered on the unit, played with it and decided it wasn't for them. Fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinion and decide the GPS we bought wasn't what we were looking for. HOWEVER, why would ANYONE think they could return this GPS for a full refund? A restocking fee, perhaps the wrong name for it, maybe it should be called you are a moron and we need to prevent you from buying stuff, opening it and expecting us to be able to re-sell once returned opened; that might be a bit wordy. But the restocking fee is in place because they CAN'T simply "put it back on the shelf and re-sell it" as the email whiner so quaintly put it. Would you walk into a store and purchase an already opened box for the same price as a box that has not been touched? Of course not, so that means the returned item now will be sold at a cheaper price as a used unit, thus the re-stocking fee will make up the difference.

It is another sign of the World we live in. No respect. Now I don't have any shares in the big bad box store company, but I completely understand why they do what they have do. To protect themselves from lazy people who are not willing to do the research on their own time about a product and have the I HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW mentality. The World of instant gratification. With everything being instant we expect everything right now and don't give me this garbage about having to wait. I need my email answer right now, I need the faster Internet connection possible, I need that report right now, I need to talk to you right now, NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

Bottom line if you want it right now it will cost you. More money for your Internet, fuel prices to get your "stuff" to you sooner, a second phone and email bill to ensure all communications arrive on your hip, and of course the boss waiting to the last possible second to demand his/her report NOW!

It just makes me shake my head wondering how people think it is okay for them to abuse the system and not be penalized. If you open a box and play with what's inside you should not receive a full refund, nor should you expect it.

My Two Cents,
Jamie

No comments: