Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words

I recently received a message from someone who I knew a long time ago. We worked together and through the glory that is Facebook they were able to lay witness to the changes I have made over the last year and half; through a photo I posted of my wife and I at a recent family wedding. The message came with an uplifting feel that reminded me how important my journey has been. Not just for me, but for those around me too.

I still forget that the changes my body has undergone since March '04 are completely beyond the scope of what I thought was possible, and I guess the same can be said for people who have known me over the years; both recently and a long time ago. At my current age I have met a lot of people; and this lifestyle change has created a situation where so many people have never seen me looking like I do now. Because I have never looked like this as an adult! It's kinda crazy really. Looking back to my High School days some 20 years ago, my body was shaped differently and I weighed more. Not much more mind you; my current weight is about 20lbs lighter than my weight in High School. I can't honestly recall a time when I weighed the same as I do today, nor can I remember my body's shape looking the way it does now either. Also, I can honestly claim that I NEVER thought I could actually weigh less than 200lbs. The concept was foreign and unattainable to me just a short time ago. I didn't feel the need to be less than 200lbs either. In fact I always joked with guys that "You aren't a real man unless you weigh at least 200lbs!" Quite a bold statement, from someone trying to make an excuse for being over weight. For me to now be well under 200lbs is shocking to me. It almost doesn't seem real. Whenever I do get on a scale (which isn't often) I still expect the much more than I see. I usually get off and step back on, thinking I must have did it wrong. I walk away from the scale shaking my head wondering if it is true. Luckily I don't own a scale so I don't have to worry about being confused ALL the time!

I am still caught off guard by comments from people regarding how I look. Especially those I have known for so long and not seen in a while. They have known me for years and they only know one version of me and he is much bigger. From the age of 16 to 36 is a long time of meeting new people and building bonds of friendship. Some of those people I see regularly and others not so much. It is the ones I happen upon infrequently that are most astonished. They clearly have a specific memory of me and today's version just doesn't match.

The interesting part of this is when someone I have met since the changes collides with someone who has known me for years. The frame of reference for my friends of many years confuses those who are new acquaintances and friends to my World. Naturally newer friends only know me as I am today (80 lbs lighter than before) and can't imagine me any different, whereas, my long time friends, family and acquaintances at a different time in my life couldn't imagine me as I am today. It's an interesting merger of mindsets that I am fascinated by. I'm weird, I know. I am student of people and that will never change. One group looks at me wondering where it all went and the other group looks at me and wonders where would it go!

I am encouraged by the thoughtful things I have heard from people around me. It reminds me why I took up the challenge...to regain control of my health. Its those comments and compliments that act as motivation to remain on task. Healthy, strong heart and active muscles. Two goals, one life. Simple enough? I think so. I keep it simple and don't sweat the small stuff………except when I'm exercising!

My Two Cents

Jamie

3 comments:

David J. Veer (david.veer@me.com) said...

Great little entry Jamie, I enjoyed reading. I'd just like to say that you have been a big inspiration for me as well. My results haven't been as dramatic as yours yet (i've lost in the neighbourhood of 15 lbs and an inch or two off my waist... but it's really thanks to your insight and inspiration that has caused me to take lifestyle changes that I know will continue to make me healther and fitter than i've ever been in my life. I'm eating homecooked meals 95% of the time, taking my lunch almost every day to work, running and working out 5/7 days of the week.. and the results are coming fast and furious. It'll only get better from here.

Thanks again Jamie, I hope to keep in touch.

Jamie said...

Thanks Dave. It was great to work with you. I am glad to have been a positive influence in your life. You are a great guy and I only helped you see that for yourself! Congrats on your successes thus far, although, I suspect these successes are just a glimpse of things to come! You will go on to achieve great things and happiness.

Talk to you soon.

Jamie

Ellen said...

Good for you Jamie, you have lost weight and kept it off! Most of those people who question what you are eating are probably jealous. They would become saboteurs if you let them. Just continue to be a shining example and those who are ready will follow. Great blog!